The story of the 2009 restoration of the P.L. & W. Train Station in Lisbon, Ohio.
P.L. & W. Train Station History
The building was built in 1886 as the Pittsburgh, Marion & Chicago Railroad Train Station and in the mid 1890’s became known as the Pittsburgh, Lisbon & Western Railroad. It provided transportation for passengers and freight until 1944. The property was purchased by the Columbiana County Farm Bureau in 1945 and became home to the local feed mill for many years.
In 1996 the property and all adjoining lots were purchased by the Columbiana County Commissioners. In 2004 funding sources began to be sought out to restore the building. Strollo Architects designed the plans, which included a staging area for the Greenway Bike Trail. A parking lot, restroom facilities, drinking fountains, bicycle parking and canoe livery were designed.
A Transportation Enhancement Grant from O.D.O.T. for $570,054 was obtained. These grants are designated specifically for the restoration of historical structures relating to transportation. A grant from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources for $145,000 was also earmarked for the project by State Representative Linda Bolon. The Appalachia Regional Commission also provided a grant for $100,000. Total Grants: $815,054.
In 2009, Bids were let and contracts were awarded to: Jim Santini Builders, Tri-Area Electric, Tolson Comfort Systems and Ellyson Plumbing. The total cost of the project was $815,008.26.
Uses for the Train Station
Interest is still growing in the Bike Trail. Upwards of six hundred people per weekend in the summer are seen on the Trail. There will be a community room available in the building for public meetings and educational programs, some of which will be sponsored by the County Park District and historical groups within the County.
If anyone would like to donate or loan Historic memorabilia for display in the Train Station, please contact the Engineer’s Office at 330-424-1740; email@example.com